Be proactive about your health
Many people only think about going to the doctor when they’re sick or injured. But the visits you have with your health care provider to proactively address health issues can be just as — if not more — important.
Preventive care may include a whole range of services such as:
- Tests for blood pressure, diabetes and cholesterol
- Cancer screening such as mammogram and colonoscopy
- Screenings for sexually transmitted infections
- Well visits to check up on your overall health
- Interventions to help you with challenges such as quitting smoking, losing weight or overcoming substance use disorders
- Pre-natal care for pregnant women
Preventive care guidelines vary based on factors such as your age and stage in life, as well as your personal and family health history. Your doctor can help determine what’s appropriate for you.